Nature Journaling





Hey guys! Today I want to share some photos of my nature journal, and challenge you all to start your own. 
         The basics of nature journaling is enjoying and observing the natural world around you with just a piece of paper and pen. Its what I love about photography, except it's almost more special and fascinating. To get started all you need is a blank notebook and a pen and pencil. Then write the date and time, place, and temperature + weather and whatever else you want in the upper left or right hand corner. After that, you are free to use your creativity. Look for interesting things and try to draw them the best you can. You can also write a description, write poetry, color it, or whatever you desire! Don't worry if they turn out horribly, I have many brown splotches, and black streaks that are unidentifiable throughout my journal. I like to sit down at a quiet spot and just observe, and draw whatever I see. I look for what is unusual, gorgeous, a seasonal marker, and everything from tiny seeds to full page landscapes. 


In this picture you can see how I added the heading in the right corner and then added small observations beside that.

I add color to things with watercolor, and sometimes markers or colored pencils. 

My field notes and sketch of a mint plant. I love keeping things black and white too.

You don't have to go outside to observe nature! This is my mom's orchid I drew.


Silver Maples opening their buds with many perspectives. (pictures coming soon!)

This is my sketch of our daffodils, you can see what it really looks like below!



This is a sketch of all the sprouting flowers in our yard. Spring is on it's way!!
You can see how the irises look in real life below.


I love nature journaling because of the silent moments and observations I record. I would highly recomend anyone to try, even if you don't think your good at drawing. So grab that pen, and notebook. The world is waiting for you.

Note: If you are interested in learning how to do this more in depth I would recommend reading any of Clare Walker's books. They are super informative, and just plain amazing! The internet also has many websites and sources where you can learn more.
And Another Note! : If you guys would like another post about nature journaling, I would love to do this again! 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Tara and I tried doing nature journals but didn’t keep up with them. I wish we did though. Yours looks really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I started this Christmas and have been trying to do 1 entry a week, but hasn't really happened all the time. You should try again!

      Delete
  2. Nature journaling looks like fun, though I'm not a very good draw-er. Maybe sometime I ought to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment